I pulled the temporary thwarts out and moved the canoe off the strongback over the weekend. Probably a bit of a mistake on the thwarts, as the keel stinger hogged some when I did it. I'm attempting to correct that. I fashioned a long "plug" from the same stringer material that tapers thin on either end and I lashed it below the keel line. It fills the void created by the bow and stern sloping down and the keel line is back to being straight. I also plan to put in a slightly wider thwart/mast step to hold the wales out a little wider, in hopes it pulls the ends back up some.
Tuesday, June 28, 2016
Wednesday, June 22, 2016
Whatever. First ride on the new Brooks B17 Imperial saddle. So far, so good. Only did about 10.5 miles, though.
Tuesday, June 21, 2016
I managed to lash up the stems yesterday and get the gunwales mostly done before running out of time and artificial sinew. It's starting to look pretty boat shaped, now.
I got to captain the boat for most of the day.
Winds were about 12MPH, gusting slightly above at times.
Friday, June 17, 2016
Last night, with the help of my friend Kevin B., I got to test out the new paint job on the Dave Gentry "Lanui" skin-on-frame SUP. Happy to report that it kept out water much better than before, with no noticeable taking on of water, whatsoever.
We paddled from the boathouse at Lake Springfield Park to Hwy. 65 and back, with a side trip up into Springfield Conservation Nature Center.
Tuesday, June 14, 2016
A few weeks back, a fellow boat nut named Christophe contacted me via WoodenBoat Forum and asked if I was still trading coffee-related paintings and drawings for donations to my friend Tom Billionis' family memorial fund. I said I was and he said he'd donate to it for a sketch in coffee of his friend Cap'n Jon's Phoenix III "Two Hearted". (The above painting was done with espresso from The Coffee Ethic, Tom's shop.)
I decided to surprise Christophe with a second sketch, one of his Sea Pearl 21 "Scout". Generosity for generosity and all that. :)
Christophe also runs one of my favorite sailing blogs, one I check quite frequently. There's never a shortage of aquatic adventure over there.
Monday, June 13, 2016
This past weekend, we went up to the Jefferson City area to spend a couple days on our friends' family farm. They had a swimming pond with rope swings and slides, plus a swimming pool, as well as 40 acres of land to play on. We goofed around in the sun, fished for catfish, caught toads/frogs, fed hogs, chickens and sheep, gathered eggs, rode ATVs, etc. Had an absolute blast.
I gave this to the owners of the farm before leaving. I took half an hour Saturday and sketched the view out back of the house.
Thursday, June 9, 2016
My super high tech way to put a little pre-bending in the canoe gunwale stock.
Tuesday, June 7, 2016
I wanted a mixed look. Something with the bright light color cob bowl, but with a darker shank than it comes stock. I also didn't want to use an off-the-shelf stain for this, since many are quite toxic and smelly. Being ignorant of which one aren't that way, I just used a thick instant coffee paste and a lighter's flame to achieve this effect. I masked off the bowl and ferrule with artist tape before I sanded off the varnish and cob print on the shank and before I stained and scorched it. After:
Monday, June 6, 2016
Ryan owns a few more toys than me. My revolver is on the left. (Edit: The other left.)
My wife's mother, my mother-in-law, passed away from early onset dementia last Monday. It was a long and painful process to watch, stretched out over several years. The last six months being the hardest. We took the entire week off to come to terms with it and make what arrangements for the celebration of life service next month. We also spent a lot of time making sure my father-in-law was doing OK. Whenever I wasn't needed, I spent some time finishing up the refurb of my standup paddle board.
It had been leaking heavily, so I decided, rather than re-canvas the thing, that I'd sand it lightly, then prime and paint it over. I'm hoping this works out. It's not been tested yet, but I might one evening this week.
When I got done with the SUP, I started to mess with my skin-on-frame rowing peapod model/idea. It's a conversion of a John Gardner lapstrake design from one of his books. I managed to get all of the ribs in and pop it off the molds. I have just begun lashing on the inwales, and I have exactly 200 lashing points done. What I have found out in doing this, that it is quite possible to build one of these boats this way and that I really don't want to, in spite of how light it would be. The work is just too damn tedious. I plan to finish out the model with breasthooks and thwarts to just shy of skinning it and then I plan to hang it on my office wall as art.
Lastly, I started anew on the skin-on-frame sailing canoe project. It's an 11' 6" conversion from a lapstrake design, as well, with some slight adjustments in the stems due to fuzzy source material there. This I'm doing fuselage frame instead of steamed ribs. It's so much easier. My father-in-law and I ran several boards through his table saw on Saturday, making some smaller boards and sawdust. I now have a nice stack of 16' stringers and gunwales in my garage, next to the strongback with frames clamped on (not shown). I've also attached temporary thwarts to the three middle frames to aid in resisting the stress of bending the gunwales and inwales around them.
I'm working out a sail plan with the aid of a these books. I'm also planning to use a lanyard type leeboard and paddle steer.