DIY Waxed Canvas Pipe Roll Pouch

I saw a bunch of these online for $60-$120. I made this one for about $4. I had most of the materials laying around already, leftover from other projects.

Making a canvas pipe roll. Not quite finished. I plan to make a wrap closure and wax the fabric.

Making a canvas pipe roll. Not quite finished. I plan to make a wrap closure and wax the fabric.

I used a fairly lightweight canvas and heavy waxed sewing thread, hand sewing the whole thing. Once sewn, I melted paraffin in a coffee can set in pot of water, then used a cheap bristle brush to paint the canvas with wax. Once coated, I took a heat gun to it and melted it into the fabric and then set it out to dry. The fabric stiffened up considerably and feels a lot like leather might. It's pretty cool. I will certainly do more projects like this in the future.

Cheap paraffin waxed canvas pipe roll pouch. Might be a little flammable, but on the bright side, it'll double as an emergency fire starter.

Now I just need to sew a small loop of leather to one edge and get a leather strip to create a wrap closure and I'm done.

Nearly finished with the waxed canvas pipe roll. Love how the canvas stiffened up.

Comments

callsign222 said…
Plus one times another hundred. Way cool, dude!
Trevor said…
Thanks a bunch! It was a fun project that I hope to field test this weekend.

Popular Posts