Mom in town and Rockbridge Trout Ranch

My mom came into town last Thursday night and stayed with us till Sunday evening. We had a nearly perfect weekend for her visit, with temps in the 60s and 70s for much of it.

Mom in town, April 2014

Friday, I took a day off of work and my mom and my daughter Gwen and I rode the Galloway Greenway trail from my house to Sequiota Park and Galloway Grill for lunch. We had a blast, but I think I wore my mom out. She hadn't been on a bicycle in a long time and my wife's bike isn't set up to her normal comfort level.

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Saturday, we took Gwen to her school's Easter party at Phelps Grove Park in the morning, then headed out of town about an hour and a half away to Rockbridge Trout Ranch for lunch.

Mom in town, April 2014

Rockbridge is really pretty cool. With it's old buildings and lodge-like atmosphere, it's something of a throwback to another time. We couldn't even get cell service within half an hour of the place. The food was awesome and the scenery, as well. You can sit in the restaurant and watch hummingbirds hit the feeder just outside the window with a big red mill and flowing creek in the background. The stream is stocked and we saw huge rainbow trout after huge rainbow trout pulled from the pool just below the millpond waterfall. We also saw bald eagles trying their hand at trout fishing, a little downstream of the hatchery area.

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

Mom in town, April 2014

We definitely want to book a weekend down there sometime. Maybe in the fall. I'd love to get away from it all for a couple of days and with the lack of cell service, I'd be forced to put my phone down for anything other than photos. I might need a heavier trout rod though, not sure my light Tenkara rod could handle the giant fish in their stream.

Comments

Popular Posts