After fighting the wind for about an hour and working around what ice was leftover from the warm week we had leading up to the weekend, I wandered over to Valley Water Mill Park to try my luck under more sheltered conditions. I'm glad I did, since I spent the next few hours pulling bluegill after bluegill from the lake and spring-fed creek above it. I think I caught about 12-14 fish, overall. I very nearly landed a 10-11 inch black bass and saw a very large one follow one of the perch I'd hooked. I'd have had my work cutout for me if that had taken the smaller fish, since I was using my light Tenkara fly rod all day. All fish were caught on a red fox squirrel nymph fly.
Over the weekend, both mornings, I got to bacon-test the new/old cold handle skillet from my last post. I had seasoned it up nicely through the week and it performed admirably. I love bringing old and cast aside items back from the dead.
Which brings me to this little gem. A rusted and worn generic carpenter's hatchet, found in my friend Ryan's dad's barn/garage a little over a week ago (again, see previous post).
Last night, I had first planned to rehang the head on the original handle, after sanding and cleaning everything. But the handle wasn't in good shape, feeling less than sturdy after being rehung. I drilled it back out, knocked it off and wandered around the garage a while, trying to come up with a decent solution that didn't involve a trip to the hardware store. After milling around for ten minutes, I decided to take the old handle from my Norlund axe restoration and cut it down into a new one for the carpenter's hatchet. Making something more like a cross between a tomahawk and a rigger's axe. It's now 18" overall instead of 12"-13" and I can use it like a hatchet, single-handing it, or use two hands when splitting firewood in camp. Problem solved!