Camp Kitchen: Repurposing a Coffee Table

Coffee table to camp kitchen/galley box.

Saturday night found me in the garage, thinking of how to get rid of a coffee table taking up my workspace. I had built a new one a few weeks ago and the old one has been patiently waiting to be dismantled, burned or chucked in the trash. Having been covered in spider man and zoo stickers, sticky spilled drinks and used as a launching board for a couch landing countless times, it wasn't worth giving away.

Coffee table to camp kitchen/galley box.

First, I peeled the stickers and then I took a rubber mallet to it, knocking off the legs. It didn't take much, since it was pretty rickety by the time it was banished to the garage.

Coffee table to camp kitchen/galley box.

A box was made from the bottom shelf and top.

Coffee table to camp kitchen/galley box.

Coffee table to camp kitchen/galley box.

I then fashioned a lid and peg leg support to have the top work as a table when open. I may redo this part soon. I'd like to figure out a way to have the leg/legs also work like a seat back when the box is closed.

Coffee table to camp kitchen/galley box.

I still need to partition off the box and maybe find a way to embed the camp stove for use directly when open. I also need to make a clasp and handles. Otherwise, not bad for a few hours worth of work and no plans.

Coffee table to camp kitchen/galley box.

Comments

Popular Posts