12' Skin-on-frame Canoe

I've been going back and forth in my head on whether or not I was going to bother with another boat project this winter. I still need to fix stuff that broke on my outrigger and complete a few more home improvements. Fact is, I'm bored as crap not building something. So, here's what I've started. It's a skin-on-frame canoe based on Gavin Atkins' lapstrake "Imp" design. I took the measurements for the molds and converted them to the frames of a SoF canoe. It may not work, I've no experience doing this. We'll see.

I plan to add a removable leeboard and mast partner, as well as a sail in the 20-25 square foot range. Maybe something like the Hobie kayak sails or Mik Storer's drop-in sailing rig.

An experiment of sorts

This boat should fill a gap in between my kayak and outrigger canoe. Something I can setup and sail quickly in the evenings after work this summer. Provided I manage to finish it before then. I'm not in a hurry.

lofted

Comments

Popular Posts